Ruby Jewel Ice Cream is home of the Northwest's #1 ice cream sandwich, and we are seeking energetic people to join our team!
We produce thousands of ice cream sandwiches a week at our production HQ to serve customers all over Portland and up and down the west coast, and the Production Supervisor position has the responsibility for ensuring that daily ice cream production targets are met. This position also ensures that all product and operations meet all relevant safety, quality and sanitation guidelines as established by the company and regulatory agencies.
This is a full time, hands-on position that includes regularly working in a production environment, training staff, scheduling, serving on the Food Safety Team, and helping to drive productivity improvements. The production supervisor must be competent and knowledgeable on all ice cream manufacturing stations and capable of continuous development of all team members.
This position may be a good fit for someone with multiple years of sous chef and/or restaurant experience looking to get out of the restaurant industry, and into a different line of food production.
Ruby Jewel employees are eligible for health/dental insurance on the first day of the month following 30 days of employment, as well as paid time off benefits (vacation and sick days). Plus, did we mention ice cream? Yes, you get to take some home ice cream every week!
- Ensure daily production targets are met. Adjust work flow and re-prioritize daily activities to accommodate for changes in schedule, staffing or equipment failures.
- Help ensure ingredients, inclusions, packaging and raw materials are available and properly staged for daily production.
- Facilitate staff breaks and lunches by coordinating staff schedules and actively working on the production floor to break out team members.
- Train all new staff on GMP’s, company policies, sanitization practices and allergen control procedures.
- Ensure compliance among staff with all Food Safety Policy, HAACP, GMP’s and company policies.
- Plan staff schedules to accomplish posted production demands while staying within labor budget. Post in advance.
- Ensure completion of all appropriate record keeping and manufacturing documentation.
- Participate on Ruby Jewel’s Food Safety Team. Attain PCQI certification.
- Continuously drive process and throughput improvements.
- Work to continuously improve the working conditions and safety of all staff.
Physical Requirements and Working Environment:
This position is a production team position within a food manufacturing environment which may at times require the following:
- Ability to come into contact with nut allergens, gluten, dairy, and latex.
- Standing, walking and lifting for long periods of time throughout a shift.
- Communication with department managers, production shift leads, operators, warehouse and logistics staff, and occasional visitors and contracted workers operating within the facility.
- Occasional lifting up to 50 lbs.
- Occasional work in a cold storage environment.
Equipment and Machinery frequently used:
- Production Equipment: Taylor soft serve machines, Emory Thompson batch freezers, continuous band heat sealers, walk-in and reach-in freezers, cryogenic tunnel freezer, Pouch Machine (automated heat sealer)
- Sanitation equipment: Automated commercial dishwasher, brooms, mops, sanitation chemical applicators, sanitation chemicals
- Workstation computer and printer
- Hand cart.
- Box cutter knife
- Other materials designated as necessary for the Ruby Jewel production process system
Education, prior work experience and specialized skills and knowledge:
- Minimum three years of food manufacturing experience.
- At least one year in a supervisory position with at least 5 direct reports.
- Strong mechanical aptitude preferred.
- Ability to comprehend, speak, and read English. Bilingual language capability in English and Spanish a plus.
Ruby Jewel, LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, gender, religion, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, veteran status, or marital status.